Thursday, July 15, 2010

July 15th

Well, we went camera shopping today. I had full intentions of just walking in and grabbing the updated version of what we already had.

One day I will eventually get One of these :


However, as much as I would love to get a little more serious about photography, this camera isn't always practical. It is kind of hard to shove it in your back pocket and go. So we will save the big girl camera for later when I am absolutely sure of what I want. Plus I wasn't ready to drop over a thousand bucks on a whim.

Ok back to my story. The camera we have is a Cannon Power Shot SD750. The newest version of that is probably the Power Shot SD1300. We are already familiar with this camera and like it so it seemed like a no brainer. Unfortunately, they only had it in Barbie Pink. Which David wasn't too excited about.

So, this caused us to look at other options. Our price range is about $120-$180. We want something small and flat so that we can actually put it in our back pocket. Features weren't really important to us until we got to the store and saw what they had to offer. I also don't know a whole lot about what brands are the best. Now I'm so confused on what to get that I need some advice. Here are the few that I am interested in. They are all 12MP with 4 to 5x zoom.
The Kodak Easy Share, this one is cool because it is the only camera that can upload pictures to email, facebook, blogs, and such when in range of free wifi. This means that I don't even have to be near a computer to update my blog. Pretty cool but not a necessity.






The Nikon Coolpix, this one is cool because it actually has blink detection. David ruins a lot of pictures by blinking so this would be a nice feature to have. Pretty cool but not a necessity.




The Fujifilm Finepix, this one is cool because it is water proof up to 10 feet, freeze proof, dust resistant, and shock proof which means you can drop it and it will survive. They were out of these at the store but the clerk wanted to show it to me because it was his best seller. Plus, he thought it would be a good one for us since David was currently running down the isle chasing Em who had found a bin full of bouncy balls and was throwing them all over the store. Apparently we are good candidates for durable cameras. I would agree. Even if we didn't have Em I would have agreed with him. I closed our current camera in the reclining mechanism of the couch the first week we had it. My only reservations about this camera is that it is a little more than I want to spend and I'm not familiar with the quality of fuji cameras.
Help! Any advice would be appreciated. Or if you have another camera not listed above that you think is better please let me know about it. Which one should we get??

6 comments:

  1. Can't you just order the canon or is just in pink everywhere? I love the canon and I also want a big girl camera...hehe maybe I should get a job first!! :) Love and miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Canon Powershot junkie but when I lost my last camera, I did look into some other options (and ultimately went back to Canon, but not Barbie pink :) )

    I've heard good things about the shockproof waterproof, etc. Olympus: http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1483 The newest version is a little $$ but there might be older versions available for less.

    Also it's my understanding that Sony electronics are the best of the best, but their memory cards aren't standard and that just bugs me. Not much help but that's all I have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am dreaming of a NEW big girl camera, because the current one is frustrating, and I find myself often reverting to the Canon. Haha! Canon all the way baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Donald's response. You know just an FYI, my experience with other brands has not been good. I had a Sony before the Canon and the flash lasted about 6 months and I was told to replace the flash would cost close to $200...I then went out and bought my Canon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pleased to hear that I ruin a lot of pictures...

    ReplyDelete