Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"I'll have some of the yella. Now don't get stingy on me."

When Emery was an infant, I made all of her baby food.  I would get gasps from other mothers as if this was such a daunting feat that they could never accomplish but kudos to me for slaving at the stove.  News flash Mama's...making baby food is so easy and so cheap! 
I am starting Asher on veggies and fruit this week and thought I'd show you just how easy it is to make.  I begin with yellow foods then move to orange, green, then red.  I introduce one vegetable/fruit at a time and feed it too him for 3 days straight to rule out allergies and anything that might not agree with him. 
Today I cooked up a whole bunch of yellow. (yellow being the inside color of the food, not the skin)

Acorn Squash, Pears, Butternut Squash, Apples 
  For the squash, pierce with a fork a few times then cook on a foil lined cookie sheet at 350 for 45 min.
     While that cooks, peel and roughly chop the pears and apples. (remember to keep them separate. they look the same once peeled and chopped.)  Add a couple Tbsp of unsweetened apple juice for moisture.  Cover and bring to a simmer on low for 10 min or so until soft.  Put in the food processor and puree until smooth.
   When the squash is done. (tender with a fork) Cut in half and dig out the seeds.
 Spoon out the flesh like you would with an avocado and place into the food processor. 
  Once you have pureed all 4 foods seperately, place into freezable storage containers, label, freeze, and voila!  After only 2 hours of "work", you have almost a month's worth of meals.
I was able to get 25 meals out of a little less than $10 worth of fruit and veggies.  Store bought baby food is roughly $0.99 a jar.  And that isn't even the organic good stuff.  You do the math.

See how easy that was?  And since Ash is only eating one meal a day of solid food, I won't have to cook again for another 20+ days.  Another reason I do this is taste.  Taste a homemade pureed squash and taste a store bought pureed squash.  There is a BIG difference.  If squash is the only ingredient listed on the label, then why does mine taste one million times better?

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome. Some day, I plan on doing this too. I agree with your last sentences...that stuff in those jars is expensive and filled with preservatives and other fillers. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS GREAT!! Thank you for going through all the steps! I just printed it out to use.

    ReplyDelete