The community garden recovered nicely from all of the snow. (pics to come soon when the plants have matured) I have also been planting on the back porch. I decided to grow beans here since we have such smart bunnies that live in the woods near the garden. I doubt they'll travel up the hill to my backyard which is frequented by two beagles. I also grow a plethora of herbs and other experiments.
For example: Did you know that you can just plant a potato, clove of garlic, or heart of celery stalk in the ground and it will just grow new ones? I'm talkin, regular produce you buy from the grocery store.
The celery will even live through the winter. Though, the bugs really like this one.
So, a friendly neighbor let me borrow some ladybugs she happened to be raising. (a project for her son) Thanks Cristina! They are doing a great job!
A little too good. Oh my. I may have baby lady bugs of my own soon.
I also keep a bunch of bug repellent plants on the porch. These give off a pungent smell that is supposed to keep mosquitoes other pests out of our way. I mean, they aren't miracle workers but they do the trick.
The strawberries are out of control! These were picked on Wednesday.
Then these were picked on Friday!
I can't keep up! Its a good thing they taste so good. Cause they don't keep very well. I guess that is what you lose when you don't have any chemicals...shelf life. That's ok, we are extending our own shelf lives and I'm good with that. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment