Saturday, March 2, 2013

When I Was Your Age I Ran Uphill In The Snow Backwards

It was a cold dreary morning in Hollister, MO today.  28 degrees with a wind chill of 13 in fact.  Me and about 37 other idiots ran a 5k that was completely uphill with a headwind for a mile and a half, then turned around and ran completely downhill with a headwind back to the start.  And guess who won first female overall.  ME!  Woot Woot!  Now, there were only 13 women running so this wasn't exactly a huge feat.  However, I'll take what I can get when first prize is 100 smackeroos!
Originally, I was supposed to run this race with 3 of my girlfriends but injuries and cold weather had them bowing out in the 11th hour.  So guess who was by my side at the freezing start line?  My knight in shinning armor.  And this after having run 10 miles himself already at 6am!  He said he would just run alongside me for fun to keep me company and not bother registering for the race.  (better than just standing there freezing his butt off I guess)  However, when we arrived, we learned there would be cash prizes involved.  And after taking a look around at our competition we figured it would be smart on our wallets for him to go ahead and register as well.  And we were right.  David came in 2nd overall and won 4 tickets to brunch at one of our favorite restaurants in town!   
So three cheers for the Ayer's!  They thought it was cute at the awards ceremony that #1 and #2 were married.  Maybe we'll make the paper.  Big thanks to Papa and Mema for keeping the kids at home this morning. <3 p="">
 
Lindsay-1st female- 28:25 11th overall
David -2nd male-20:08 2nd overall
 
I also have to give a big shout out to Diego.  He is a 10 year old boy that was in front of me the entire race.  Every time I inched up on him he would pull away.  I finally caught up with him at the crest of this humungous hill and we ran side by side for about 2 minutes.  Then I could see the determination growing on his face that he was not going to be beat by a girl much less a woman.  He started to pull away and would look back every couple minutes or so to be sure I wasn't going to pass him.  I tried my hardest but this kid was motivated.  And kudos to him.  Cause I couldn't catch the boy.  He finished 22 seconds ahead of me.

1 comment:

  1. How awesome!! Your registration number was your predestined indicator! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete