Friday, February 22, 2013

It's Time To Start The Garden!

Wait....    

What?

That's right.  We are getting an early start this year; mainly to save money (by using seeds instead of starter plants) and to maximize harvest.

But isn't it 36 degrees outside and in the middle of February?

And isn't there still ice/snow on the roof from the wintery mix ice storm we had YESTERDAY?!
And don't the people down the street still have their Christmas reindeer décor out back?  That's another story.
 
But yes!  And we have a plan.  My secret is these milk jug greenhouses.

According to the website, you can plant it and forget it.  The seeds and seedlings stay warm enough through the greenhouse effect and the hole in the top lets moisture in....be it rain, sleet, or snow! 

PHENOMINAL COSMIC POWERS! Itty bitty living space.  Name that movie.  (two snow days at home with the kids has me disney'd out...huge hint btw)
Emery, as always, was my super duper helper during this project.  Basically you cut the jugs in half almost all the way around.  Fill the bottom half with potting soil.  Plant your seeds.  Thoroughly water.  Close lid and zip tie or tape shut. 
Most of these are starter plants that will be transplanted into the community garden.  The others, for example the corn, are testers just to make sure the seeds are still good from last year.
 
Last year, I wound up giving away a lot of our crops because I planted too many of the same type.  I found myself wishing I had planted more of a variety and envying other plots that had.  Now that I am more familiar with gardening, I am much more excited and prepared for this year.  I even have recipes in place, including canning.  I've got big plans for this year's crop!

No comments:

Post a Comment